The government is not a modern employer, with public servants working in an often archaic, inflexible and frustrating environment. It is difficult for a person working in it to give their best when the organisation holds them back. Inflexible contracts, stuffy hierarchies of managers and a culture of passing around paperwork prevails.
Old Politics Failure
Politicians have pandered to special interests like the senior civil servants who want to maintain their empire’s without interruption from outsiders. They have allowed a wasteful system to develop that wastes money and talent and delivers poor results. They have not tackled maladministration in any meaningful way.
Aaron plans to turn the public service into a modern and dynamic workplace where the best want to work and can put their talent to good use. The public service will become one of the best workplaces in the world not because it pays the most or demands the least, but because it is a place where creative people can do great things the same as in some of the most successful companies we have in Ireland.
Become the Best
- Create a flexible organisation: Flexible working environment, flexible contracts and flexible management
- Allow individuals to enter and leave government service at all levels to attract great private sector talent and send existing employees to gain valuable experience
- Create a workplace environment conducive to great results with innovations from the workplaces of the most successful companies in the world
- Eliminate management in favour of an enabled workforce, with nobody more than two rungs away from their ‘customers’
- Create world class public administration education by pairing with schools of government from around the world in Harvard, London and elsewhere